Care and rehabilitation chains are guidelines for health care professionals about their responsibilities of the prevention, diagnostics, treatment and rehabilitation of diseases.
The care chains enable quality control and adjustments in health care and social work. Chains planned, compiled and agreed together enhance the availability and quality of health care services and reduce the number of overlapping procedures.
Care chain subjects
Care chain subjects are diseases and health issues chosen on the basis of
- their impact on national health
- overlapping treatment responsibilities between different treatment parties
- the need for standardizing treatment in the hospital district area
- their costs
- the large number of treatment periods and contacts
- problems in treatment or in the co-operation, division of work, treatment hierarchy or information flow between treatment parties
- the need to adjust current practices or work division.